Below is a few tips and ideas to be efficient and therefore effective in outsourcing transcription services to get better results.
Things you need to provide to your transcription services provider
Before you start outsourcing transcription, provide your chosen transcription company with all the necessary information pertaining to the project. These may include:
- No. of speakers/participants – It is vital that you mention the number of speakers or participants in an interview or focus group. If your recordings are mostly dictations by one person mention that. Dictations generally will cost you less than say an interview or a focus will multiple speakers.
- The quality of recordings – It’s always helpful when someone contacted us for a quotation and mentioned the quality of their recordings. This way transcription providers are able to say if they can meet their expectations in terms of turnaround time and quality.
- Templates/samples of various documents – If you or your organization have standard templates for letters, reports, statements, memos, witness statements, etc do provide them to your transcription provider. Also, take time to teach them how to use your templates or samples. This will allow them to correctly use your templates so you don’t spend an inordinate amount of time checking the formatting and standards.
- Style guides – Even when you don’t have samples or templates put a style guide together and provide your transcription provider with same. Style guides may include fonts, font size, how to name files, how to fill in reference numbers, using American or British spellings, American or British styles of writing names, etc. Professional firms and law firms usually have standard style guides that has consistent styles and formatting, and helps in the consistent branding of their documents.
- Expected turn around time (TAT) - If there are documents you need urgently make sure your chosen transcription company has the resources and means to deal with such assignments. Of course, such assignments will cost you more.
- Level of confidentiality – Mention the level of confidentiality you require on your projects. Can they meet your requirement?
- Lists of contact email ids, address details, titles and designations they may have to include in their transcripts
- Lists of abbreviations and names of individuals, companies and businesses.
- If you’re a regular user, it’s vital that you let them know when and how much transcription you need every day or on a regular basis. This will allow your transcription provider to allocate adequate resources to fulfill your requirement. Or, perhaps, your transcription provider will even put together a team of transcribers to transcribe your transcriptions exclusively if you have ongoing requirement.
Benefits of Providing Adequate Information to Transcribers
Providing some or all the above will spare you a lot of hassle when you start outsourcing transcription. You will also be able to integrate transcription process to your workflow more efficiently.
I’ve worked with transcription companies and professional firms where clients provide us with every detail and information necessary. They provided us templates, style guides, and references for companies, businesses, persons, addresses, etc. These are really helpful to us transcribers and saves us time too. It’s also vital to getting accurate transcripts.
By providing as much information as you can, you save time going to and fro and remove any misunderstanding and communication gap. Transcription is a collaborative effort between the transcriber and the user. Understanding what you need to disclose to your transcriber is vital to you successfully utilizing transcription services.
Effective and efficient utilization of outsourcing resources will enhance your productivity and equal effective delegation of tasks.
About the author – Carey Suante is a writer and entrepreneur. He founded TranscriptionPRO Services after years of experience in blogging and internet marketing. Contact him for a no-obligation Transcription Quotation today for all your typing and transcription requirements.